There are free mobile apps which can be very useful and handy alternatives to using conventional scanners. We have reviewed the best of the mobile scanner apps, highlighting their features and limitations. We have used the following parameters for reviewing the Mobile Scanning Apps:
- Quality : The scanned page should be of good quality. This is the highest priority for selection of any good scanner.
- Multiple Pages : Does the App support scanning of multiple pages or side in one file. (Passport pages, Business card)
- OCR (Optical Character recognition) : This feature is useful, so that the documents are scanned as searchable texts rather than just as plain images. This feature is useful while scanning business cards and can re-use the text\numbers in the scanned contact.
- Edge Detection: The app should be able to easily recognize the edges of the document or any item being scanned, differentiating the background on which the item has been placed.
- Perspective correction: The main disadvantage of using a mobile as scanner is that we cannot place the camera upright and in all cases there will be a slight tilt in the final scan that is captured. The app should be able to correct the tilt and scan the final output as if it has been done upright.